Focused Teamwork Achieves More, Faster
Real, lasting change in a community happens when people come together with a purpose and focus their efforts on specific goals and outcomes. United Way participates in, or is the backbone support and organizer, of many partnerships throughout Anchorage. Within these dedicated groups, Action Teams are created to:
- Address specific elements of complex issues that need attention.
- Determine where existing resources (time, money, materials, knowledge) can be combined, applied and modified as needed.
- Evaluate the existing data and track new data towards achieving goals.
- Figure out what really is working in the community and expand its reach.
- Recommend changes to improve efforts to reach goals and impact more people.
Some examples of current Action Teams in the trenches include:
- FERK: Family Engagement towards Readiness for Kindergarten – providing tools and training to a group of parents focused on ‘purposeful play’ to increase kids literacy, math and social emotional development.
- Girl Centric – aimed at increasing attendance for 8th grade girls at a pilot middle school through the power of positive connections.
- AK Saves – bringing the America Saves program to Anchorage to help families build assets for their future and increase their financial stability.
- Beyond Shelter – ensuring that no children sleep in an unsafe environment in the coldest months of the year.